Friday, December 19, 2008

Tis the Soupy Season



My friend L always says she's a seasonal eater and drinker; cider in the fall, hot chocolate (with peppermint schnapps) in the winter, you know the drill. As it turns out, I also seem to have unknowingly subscribed to this philosophy. Winter to me means curling up with Dean & Deluca Earl Grey tea and my favorite cold-weather meal, soup.

So without further ado, my most favorite soup recipe of all time which, incidentally, freezes quite well. Trust me, you'll want more later!

CARROT CHOWDER

Ingredients:

-1 lb. hamburger (ground round or ground sirloin)
-1/2 tsp. salt
-OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup diced gren pepper, 1/2 cup chopped onion

-4 cups tomato juice (whole can of V8 does nicely)
-2 cans low-fat cream of celery soup
1 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups grated carrot
-1/2 tsp. garlic salt
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. pepper

Instructions:

1. Brown hamburger (discard drippings).
2. Add salt.
3. Add vegetables if desired. Cover and simmer on low heat until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
4. In large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Serve over sliced swiss cheese or any cheese you prefer (my pick is always Colby Jack. YUM!).

3 comments:

k said...

mmmmmmm i want this. do you think boca burger crumbles would be an ok substitute?

eLs said...

Probably! Try it! And then invite me over so I can try it also. Mmm, carrot chowder.

The cheese is the BEST PART.

Rob said...

I have had the pleasure of enjoying the carrot chowder and it was a pleasure that was most pleasurable!