Bagels: Doubtless, the single most important food of my life. Here is a list of my favorite bagel spots; hardly comprehensive, just those around where I live work and play that have become an integral part of my existence.
5. Cup o' Joes: Let me be clear - these are not good bagels. Usually low on selection, they also leave something to be desired in the freshness department and the cream cheese is not so lovingly applied. But it is right by my apartment, on Driggs Ave in Greenpoint (across from the darling Mcgolrick Park), the guys who run it are super cool and it just has a nice vibe. Happy place to be and to bagel.
4. Brooklyn Ale House: Okay, this is obviously not a bagel place. But they have bagel brunch, and there are usually a lot of dogs, and the bloody marys are sensational. As if brunch, bloodys, and dogs arent enough, the bagel spread is sweeeet. If you get there by noonish there is usually a good selection, with all different kinds of cream cheese and onions and cukes and tomatoes and sea salt and all things that make a bagel delicious but I usually dont put on a bagel because it is not spread so lavishly before me. I'm pretty sure they get the goods from Bagelsmith, so props to both of these W'burg establishments!
3. Bagelstore: Also known as "Metbag," we'll say because it is on Metropolitan, these are just good bagels. Big space, great selection, cute staff. There is often a lot of confusion between ordering and paying and receiving your order, but if you manage to get through all of that without getting mildy pissed off or milding pissing someone off, it's a worthwile experience.
2. Bagel Bob's: Close enough to work that I can run there on my break, this has proven to be a welcome addition to my bagel routine. Often a lot of NYU kids; but let's face it, NYU kids know their bagels.
1. Murray's: Murray's is just the best. They don't toast their bagels. They refuse. Because they don't need to. Always fresh, always hearty, always perfect. This is the most filling bagel I can imagine. My favorite part, though, is that the everything bagel has everything on BOTH SIDES. This is very important to me, and I am more often than not disappointed in this regard. Thank you Murray, for understanding.
So that's that! I'm always open to bagelggestions, so let me know if you've got any hot bagel tips for me.