Wednesday, January 20, 2010

r.i.p. monkey town

Monkey Town has been a Williamsburg institution for some years now, founded by Mr. Montgomery Knott as a bar/dining room/gallery/performance space/other cool stuff place. Sadly, it is closing at the end of the month; but not before I got a chance to check out one of its feasts of hipsterdom.

Now way back in December of '09, we had a pretty tremendous snowstorm here in the city. By chance, I happened to have reservations for Monkey Town's ski-lodge-themed six course dinner extravaganza the next day. So it was pretty thrilling to trudge through a foot of snow into the cozy quarters of MT's dining area: A square room (secluded from the rest of the bar) with projector screens outfitting each wall, and low couches and tables lining the wall beneath. The ambiance was comparable to that of a nice independent movie theater and a really classy orgy at the same time.

As the guests (young, white people obsessed with novelty...like me!) filtered in, the screens sported "classic ski films" and a DJ spun "alpine sounds." The main event, however, was a screening of Werner Herzog's The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner, a beautiful film documenting the accomplishments and emotions of a world-champion ski jumper.

And the food...

Course I: Bavarian Cheese Fondue
You can't really go wrong with fondue amiright.

Course II: Ginger Braised Rabbit
I had never had rabbit before, so this was exciting.

Course III: Roasted Garlic Soup
Mushrooms were involved here, so my opinion should probably be discounted.

Course IV: Seared Wild Salmon
I love salmon, and the lentils were a nice touch.

Course V: Gin Marinated Venison Loin
This was probably my favorite; I'm so glad I eat meat sometimes.

Course VI: Apple Streudel
With raspberry sauce and vanilla bean gelato. Just kidding this was obviously my favorite.

I'm really glad I got to experience this whole thing. As bourgy as it was, Monkey Town is a cool place and I'm sad to see it go.

2 comments:

John Leo Costello said...

sweet cabin-essence.

eLs said...

Why would you post this if I can never have it!? Really uncool.