Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You Can Buy Me Love...for $10.

So, everyone who considers himself or herself a foodie is familiar with Momofuku, which was apparently recently named one of the 50 best restaurants in the WORLD...no small feat! It's a well-deserved honor, of course, and I personally have fond memories of it. I've only eaten there twice in my life, but on each occasion I was in good company (with some of my closest friends in the world) and was thoroughly amazed by the delectable fare. For those of you who can't make it to New York, you can now create your own delicious versions at home with the Momofuku Cookbook. Lucky you!

For those of us who are based here, however, Momofuku is a rare treat. Because I work in Midtown, I don't often have the opportunity or motivation to head down to the Momofuku locations near Union Square (especially for lunch), and it has been one of the great tragedies of my life. Until now.

I was trolling the absolutely fantastic Midtown Lunch blog a few weeks ago (if you work in Midtown and understand the depressing lack of affordable lunch options, you probably read it religiously too) and stumbled across a post about a temporary Momofuku outpost , Ma Peche, in the Chambers Hotel on 56th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, mere blocks from my office. I immediately freaked out, then went even more to pieces when I realized that they were offering was a $10 ($10!!!) lunch special. I made a date to head there with my co-workers, and today we checked it out.

It was, as you might imagine, FANTASTIC. The area is very spare and attractive, and they have additional food options if you don't want to go for the $10 menu. The $10 lunch menu has four choices, which you can read about by following the Midtown Lunch link above. I ordered the Banh Mi du Maison, and it was INTENSELY good. They also give you a bottle of hot sauce, which I found added a delicious (though not necessary) kick. Peanut butter cookies are available for a mere $1.85 extra, and we all know how I feel about the cookies from Momofuku Milk Bar. Plus, a beverage is included in the $10, so the whole thing cost me about $11.85, which is what I would pay at a deli for a significantly less amazing meal.

So, a huge huge HUGE thanks to Midtown Lunch for bringing this to my attention, and hopefully today I've paid it forward by ensuring that none of you pay $10 for a subpar meal elsewhere when a wonderful one awaits at Ma Peche. Happy lunching!

Oh, did I mention they also serve dinner? And cocktails after 4:30 p.m.? You're welcome!

1 comment:

CaseyMustPie said...

midtown lunch really is great. i don't even work there and i appreciate it's contribution to the city as a whole.